For this session, I recommend booking one to two months before the baby’s actual birthday (or birthday party). There are a few reasons for this.
ONE: it’s so much easier to do a cake smash with a baby who is not walking/running yet!
TWO: I need to order a cake and sometimes I need to restock on decorations.
THREE: If you will be using the images for the party invitations, you will want to have them back in time to send out.
When you schedule your session, if you have any colors or a theme in mind, or maybe you have seen something you like from my website, just let me know and we will plan everything out in advance. For baby’s first birthday, I like to “go all out”. After all, IT ISa celebration! This session is completely opposite of the newborn sessions that I do. This is where I get to have some fun and use different colors and sometimes, a little bit of bling!
Most of my clients find their cake smash outfits on Etsy, although, it’s completely up to you. You are welcome to bring two outfits if you’d like. One for before the cake and one for the smashing part. You can also do the smash topless. Just look through lots of pictures to see what your personal preference is. OH! And you might want to have a clean outfit for baby to go home in!
Believe it or not, it’s actually over pretty quick. You will come in, get baby ready for a few pictures without the cake, then I will introduce the cake and let baby go to town. The whole smash part is really only about 20 minutes. Then you can take baby in the bathroom to clean up.
· It’s best to bring baby after their morning nap (if possible) and feed them too. They really don’t actually eat much of the cake at all.
· If the cake is not completely destroyed, there might be some left over for you to take home! (Yummy!)
· Not every baby likes cake and not every baby likes being messy.
· Occasionally babies can have allergies or aversions to some of the ingredients in a cake. I recommend doing a practice round at home with a cupcake to get an idea of how baby will react.
· I have seen other types of smashes done so maybe your baby would like to do a pie smash, pancake smash, spaghetti smash or a watermelon smash... It can be done with practically anything.
· If baby is teething or not feeling well, a dose of infant Tylenol before you get here will help things go more smoothly.
· Babies are unpredictable at this age so just try to roll with the punches and have some fun.