How to Prepare Yourself and Your Baby
When Does a Newborn Session Take Place?
Newborns are best photographed between 5-10 days old.
For 9 months, baby has been growing and developing, waiting to make his/her appearance. They are tightly confined inside the space of the womb. They are born with over 300 bones (adults have 206 bones) and their tiny bodies remain compacted into the “fetal position” for a few weeks. This is the perfect time to do your Newborn Portrait Session because the longer they are out, the more their backs and legs straighten out and the more difficult it becomes to pose the baby.
Can Newborns be Photographed After 2 Weeks?
Yes, but you must be willing to manage your expectations of what your images will look like. I don’t do newborn sessions any later than 3 weeks old unless there are extenuating circumstances such as NICU stays.
Can I Bring My Baby After His Circumcision?
I strongly encourage you to schedule the circumcision for after our session.
Because most of my posing is done on the belly, I can not keep baby comfortable enough to achieve my standard poses if he is still healing. If you must have it done before our session, please tell me so I can schedule you 7-10 days after and baby’s diaper would need to be left on for the entirety of the session for sanitary reasons.
How Long Does a Newborn Session Last?
A newborn session typically takes 3 hours.
A newborn session could take more or less time depending on the baby. Every baby is different but there are a few things you can do to help our session go smoothly.
- Keep your baby awake for at least 2 hours before your session.
- Wash your baby and moisturize his/her skin.
- Feed and burp your baby right before your session.
- Bring extra milk in bottles.
- Bring a silicone/Soothie style pacifier (I have these available as well)
- Bring extra diapers & receiving blankets.
Are Family Photos Included?
Immediate family and/or siblings can be photographed with the newborn for no additional charge. (For grandparents or extended family members, a $50 fee will be added & an additional 3 digital images will be added to your gallery.)
For new parents or parents with baby only, I do those photos at the end of the session. Skin to skin contact looks amazing so short sleeve or sleeveless shirts are preferred for this style. Baby will be “au-naturale” so bring an extra outfit just in case we have any accidents. That’s why I wait until the end 😉
- Best shirt colors are white, cream, nude, tan, gray or black.
- Nails should be clean and without polish or a light color.
For families with siblings or sibling with baby, I do these at the beginning of the session so I can move quickly and with the most attention. After the photos are taken, the children are welcome to stay and watch cartoons or play out back with supervision, or we have several parks nearby.
- Children should avoid colored candies, drinks or anything that will stain the mouth.
- Hair should be combed. Hands, feet and face should be clean.
- If your child has been sick or had a fever, your session will need to be rescheduled.
- Animals, unfortunately, can not be photographed in-studio.